Sometimes, they just don’t listen.
No matter what you say, they have already formed an opinion.
Maybe they are coming from a place of anger, fear, hate, cruelty, depression, or defensiveness.
They could be thinking about something totally unrelated to you and just taking it out on you.
You feel like you are banging your head against a wall… trying to make them see the truth.
But, they just won’t listen to you.
Here is what you need to know:
- You can’t change them – in any way.
- The only person you can control is you.
- You take action for yourself only.
Here is what you need to do:
- Help yourself. [emotional safety]
- Stop participating in that conversation.
- Get out of that situation in the moment.
- Get help from a trusted person if you need it.
- Then, you have to let it go. [empowerment]
- Check in with you. [empowerment]
That fifth step, letting it go, is the hardest.
We keep going back over it again and again in our heads.
- What could we have said differently to get them to see?
- Why were they saying those things to me?
- Why can’t they see it isn’t true?
- Why are they so hateful?
We keep spending all of our mental energy on THEM…
Do you think they are still worried about that conversation? Not at all.
They are thinking about what they are going to eat for dinner.
We have to let it go. This is how we can have “control” over it.
We know our own truth (despite their words).
Write about the situation in your journal. It will help you see what you can’t from just thinking about it.
Finally, we check in with ourselves, reminding ourselves we are 100% worthy of love no matter what.
If you have questions about this, please DM me. I will be happy to help you work through a specific situation.